Third Hands-On Training:-Research Methods Intellectual Property Rights
Intellectual property (IP) law is based on many assumptions about how creators and innovators behave, how markets for inventions operate, and how judges and juries adjudicate IP disputes. Despite the prominence of these assumptions in IP doctrine, their accuracy has rarely been tested. Empirical studies—employing controlled experiments, data collection from real-world cases, and structured interviews—can examine the validity of IP law’s basic assumptions and provide recommendations for promoting innovation and increasing the efficiency of the system. The research methodology comprises the steps in conducting research beginning from literature review to the creation and analysis of empirical data. Lack of awareness and effective training of tools in research methodology is an impediment to carrying out quality research. The workshop aims at addressing this crucial problem by imparting training to IP researchers for properly conducting research, and analyzing the results of empirical study to support their findings in IPR policy research.
About The Workshop
The current workshop is an effort to enrich the Research scholars Intellectual property on research methodology with hands-on training. This workshop is open for legal academicians who are working in the areas of intellectual property law in India. There is a clear transition from conceptual to empirical research work in their research. The core objective of this workshop is to make the target group more capable of handling IP data. All the sessions will be handled with lectures and practical exercises.
- Necessity of empirical studies in IP
- Introduction to IP data
- Making sense of IP data
- Literature review in IP research
- Use of Web scrapping in IP research
- All registered Ph.D. scholars (IPR) from recognized Indian Law University/legal research institutes, Academicians, PostGraduate students (IPR) may send their application (online) for the workshop along with a summary of their research proposal(not more than 300 words). The selection committee will select the participants for hands-on training based on their research work, credentials given in the registration form.
- The participants should have basic knowledge of IPR and computer applications.
The maximum Intake shall be 35 participants.
Certificate Of Participation
Certificate of Participation will be given to those participants with 80 percent attendance in all the sessions.
Dates To Reckon
- The date of the workshop is June 11, 12 and13, 2021
- Last date for submission of application form is June 5,2021
- List of selected participants will be published on June 7 ,2021 and the same shall be communicated to the participants via their e-mail address provided at the time of submission of online application.
- Venue: CISCO WEBEX. Online platform. Link will be shared with the selected participants.
- Registration form is available at https://forms.gle/myPXzRMkYH7yS4XXA
- The link shall remain open till June 5, 2021.
- The application form can be filled and submitted only through the link provided. No other modes of submission like courier or other offline modes will be accepted.
- A selection committee will review the application forms submitted based on the credentials given.
- A list of selected participants will be published on June 07, 2021, and the same shall be communicated to the participants via their e-mail address provided at the time of submission of the online application.
- Selected participants can make the registration fee payment.
- Details relating to the Workshop will be shared only with the selected participants.
- The selected participants are requested to have their own laptops to get hands-on experience on the software applications introduced during the Course.
The registration fee for the Workshop is Rs 1000/-(Rupees One Thousand only).
The fee payment link will be shared with selected participants.
Fee once paid is non-refundable. No participant will be entertained without enrolment.
Dr. Walter Park, Professor and Department Chair, Department of Economics, American University.
Walter Park is a professor of economics and currently the department chair at American University and an affiliate faculty at the Washington College of Law, AU, Program on Information Justice and Intellectual Property. He is also a special sworn employee at the U.S.Bureau of Economic Analysis, Department of Commerce, and serves on the advisory editorial board of Research Policy. His area of research focuses on the impacts of intellectual property rights on innovation and economic development, as well as on internationalR&D spillovers, open innovation, and business cycles. He has consulted for the Center for Global Development, European PatentOffice, Industry Canada, and OECD, among others. He holds a B.A.degree in economics and statistics from the University of Toronto, an M. Phil in economics from Oxford University, and a Ph.D. in economics from Yale University.
Dr. Anson C J, Assistant professor at Inter University center for IPR studies
Dr. Anson is appointed Assistant professor at the Inter-University Center for IPR studies at Cochin University of Science and Technology. AtIUCIPRS, he was the Principal Investigator of a research project on studying the management of Collective Property through cooperative societies. He has published in both peer-reviewed journals and law reviews. In addition, he has been invited as a resource person in numerous IPR related seminars in India.
He also holds a Ph.D. in IPR and Management – worked as a research officer at DIPP Chair of Cochin University of Science and Technology. In addition, he has been invited as a resource person in numerous IP-related seminars in India and abroad. Presently, he is teaching ‘LegalResearch Methods’, ‘Collective property as an IP’, and ‘IP and management for LLM, Ph.D. and MBA students of CUSAT respectively. He is also coordinating coursework for the Integrated Ph.D. program.
- Naveen Gopal (Research Assistant, DPIIT IPR Chair, CUSAT)– 9895897061
- Sulok S.K. (Research Assistant, DPIIT IPR Chair, CUSAT)-9497280522
- Stuti Sowmya (Teaching and Research Assistant, DPIITIPR Chair, GNLU)- 8412018331(Registration)
- Sayan Chandra (Intern, DPIIT IPR Chair GNLU) -7003554427
Queries may be addressed to [email protected]