1st Virtual National Client Counselling Competition Sathyabama Institute Of Science And Technology (Deemed To Be University)
Sathyabama is a prestigious institution which excels in the fields of Engineering, Science, and Technology for more than three successful decades. It offers multi-disciplinary academic programs in various fields of Engineering, Science, Technology, law, Dental Science, Pharmacy, Nursing, Management, Arts and Science, and Allied Health Sciences. It is established under Sec.3 of the UGC Act, 1956, and is been Accredited with an ‘A’ Grade by the National Accreditation and Assessment Council. The Institution persistently seeks and adopts innovative methods to improve the quality of higher education and is responsive to the changes taking place in the field of education on a global scale. The Institution has a team of dynamic and outstanding faculty, innovative pedagogical practices, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and world-class Research Facilities. This glorious Institution is functioning under the dynamic leadership of Dr. Mariazeena Johnson, Chancellor, Dr. Marie Johnson, President, and Ms. Maria Bernadette Tamilarasi Johnson, Vice President. Sathyabama has a good presence in rankings and ratings at the National and International levels. The Institution has been ranked in 39th position by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), Government of India among the Universities in India for the year 2020, and ranked one among the top 50 Universities for five consecutive years. Sathyabama is ranked among the Top 5 Institutions in the Country for Innovation by ATAL ranking of Institution for Innovation Achievements, Govt. of India. Times Higher Education and QS has ranked Sathyabama among the top Institutions worldwide. Sathyabama Institute of Science & Technology has alliances with leading universities and research establishments at National and International levels. It is a research-intensive university with world-class laboratories and research facilities and is involved in research in the emerging areas of Science and Technology. Sathyabama has undertaken various sponsored and collaborative R&D projects funded by National and International Organizations. Sathyabama has written a special page in the history of space research on 22nd June 2016 with the launch of “SATHYABAMASAT” in association with ISRO. Sathyabama has emerged as a leading Institution and achieved excellence in higher education to international standards owing to its research and academic excellence.
About School Of Law
Legal education is at a pivotal moment right now and Sathyabama School of Law is evolving to address society’s need by adding value to the student’s learning to serve society and the spirit of community is an integral part of our curriculum. Ever since its inception, the School of Law has stood by its strong dedications to the study of law and interdisciplinary approaches to law and the focus is on real-world skills required to be ready for practice. School of Law is defined by the way Legal Education is imparted and the school is keen on investing in students’ intellectual and personal development. School of Law functions with the most dynamic leadership programs, events, and initiatives that help students gain a deeper understanding of leadership and carry leadership qualities. In the process, students grow as engaged leaders on campus, in the community, and beyond. School of Law is well known for its discipline, exposure and qualified faculty, and commitment. Sathyabama School of Law aspires to be an internationally renowned Centre for research and teaching in law. School of Law is dedicated to advancing human dignity, social welfare, and justice through knowledge of the law. Our courses are academically rigorous, informed by the latest research. Courses are taught by dedicated, efficient, and industrious faculty and a cadre of intellects that includes respected judges and experienced practitioners. We work with a wide variety of groups including the legal profession, policymakers, research bodies, and organizations. This reflects our strength in many fields of legal and socio-legal research, and this gives our students the opportunity to interact with internationally respected scholars. Our programs will prepare students for a career in the legal profession and beyond. The curriculum has been designed to provide a strong foundation in the core subjects coupled with opportunities to pursue optional courses in areas of undergraduate’s choosing.
About Client Counselling
The Client Counselling Competition promotes greater knowledge and interest among law students in the preventative law and counseling functions of law practice. It also encourages students to develop interviewing, planning, and analytical skills in the lawyer-client relationship in the law office. Interviewing and advising is a significant part of most lawyers’ work. The Competition provides an opportunity for a valuable educational and cultural interchange between students, law teachers, and legal practitioners.
- Initial interview with a person playing the role of the client.
- Address the client’s legal and non-legal needs
- The advocate-client relationship
- Build rapport
- Determine client goals
- Consider applicable law, etc.
Prerequisite For Stages
The Competition follows, Point Qualification Format in which teams accumulating the highest number of points in the preliminary rounds will qualify for the Quarter Finals followed by the Semi-Final Rounds and thereon for the Final Rounds.
There will be four (4) rounds of competition
- The Preliminary Round
- The Quarter Finals (for 8 short listed Teams).
- The Semi Final round (for 4 short listed Teams)
- The Final Round (for the Final 2 Teams)
- Each Counselling Session is divided into three parts: Consultation, Post- Consultation and Critique.
- During the consultation and post-consultation, the team may use books, notes and other materials.
Theme – The problem for the Client Counselling will be based on any of these subject areas: Law of Torts, Constitutional Law, Specific Relief, Family Law, Criminal Law, Labour Law, Environmental Law, and other major Acts.
Time Limit For Each Round Per Team
Preliminary Round= 30 Minutes
- Consultation Period is 20 Minutes.
- Post Consultation Period is 5 Minutes.
- Critique Period is 5 Minutes
Semi-Finals= 35 Minutes
- The consultation Period is 25 Minutes.
- Post Consultation Period is 5 Minutes.
- Critique Period is 5 Minutes
Finals = 40 Minutes
- Consultation Period is 25 Minutes.
- Post Consultation Period is 10 Minutes.
- Critique Period is 5 Minutes.
Rules For The Competition
The school of Law, Sathyabama institute of science And Technology is conducting 1st Virtual National Client Counselling Competition,2021. The Competition shall be conducted on 3rd & 4th December 2021. The rules for the competition are given below:
- The Organizers shall not be responsible for any loss due to slow or non-functional Internet Connection during the Competition. We request all the participants to arrange a sound Internet Connection.
- The decision of the Judges shall be final regarding the outcome of the Rounds.
- No additional documentation or screen sharing will be allowed.
- The Organizers reserve the right to take disqualify the participants if indulged unethical, wrongful or unprofessional conduct.
- Scouting is not allowed under any circumstances and may lead to disqualification. You are requested to exit the room after your session is over.
- If there is any situation, not covered by the Rules, the decision of the Organizers shall be final and binding.
- The participants are always required to comply with the rules formulated by the Organizing Committee during the competition. In case of any non-compliance with the rules of the competition, penalty may be imposed by deduction of marks and the teams may also be disqualified after they have been warned once.
- All the participates will receive their E-Certificates.
- Participants are advised to check their mailboxes regularly for updates.
- In the case of a tie, the higher rank would be determined on the basis of least time taken by the participants.
- Each team must consist of two participants only.
- The two participants may be from any of the 3 year or 5-year LLB course.
Mode Of The Competition: Virtual.
Eligibility: Students of three year and five-year law degree courses from any University/Law School/College/Department are eligible for registration of their team.
Dress Code: Participants should wear Formal Attire during the competition.
- Quality of questions asked for obtaining relevant information from client
- Extent of relevant remedies suggested to the client
- Establishing an effective professional relationship.
- Learning the client’s goals, expectations, and needs.
- Factual and legal analysis of the client’s problems.
- Giving advice and assisting the client to make an informed decision.
- Response during the post-consultation period.
The Marking scheme shall comprise 50 marks per participant, which shall be distributed as follows:
- Presence of mind = 10 marks
- Ability to provide legal solution = 10 marks
- Tactfully handling the client = 10 marks
- Extracting relevant information from client = 10 marks
- Audible summarizing & team work (Post Consultation) = 10 marks
|S.No||List of events||Dates of Event|
|1.||Registration Opens (Google Form)||25th October|
|2.||Registration Close||1st December|
|3.||Last date for payment||1st December|
|4.||Inauguration, Preliminary Round & Quarter – Finals||3rd December|
|5.||Semi-Finals and Finals||4th December|
- Teams can register by filling up the google form, which is given below. The first 30 registered teams only can participate. https://forms.gle/ReNUR2nQ3Fm2qPiW9
- The registration fee shall be Rs.1000 /- for each team. The registration fee shall be non-refundable and non-transferable.
- The last date for registration is 1st December 2021.
- Once a team registers by completing the formalities given, a Code (hereinafter “Team Code”) shall be assigned to the team by the Organizing Committee.
- The link/Rooms for all the sessions will be conveyed to the participants prior to the event.
- The organizing committee has the exclusive right to decide in case of any dispute related to the competition. The decision of the organizing committee in such a case shall be final.
- The Mode of Payment of the registration fee shall be Account Transfer or UPI transfer.
- The registration fee shall be paid in favor of the below-mentioned Account.
A/c No– 616546836
IFSC Code– IDIB000S201
Account Holder’s Name– Dr. Dilshad Shaik
Google Pay Number: 9849000331
Awards And Certificate
- First Prize: Certificate of Merit + Cash Prize of Rs.5000
- Second Prize: Certificate of Merit + Cash Prize of Rs.2500
- Best Student Council: Certificate of Merit + Cash Prize of Rs.1500
- E-Certificate will be provided to active participants.
For Details Contact
E-Mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
For More Details
Mr. P.S.S GOWRI SHANGAR
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR 9629848534
Ms. K.R. VAISHALI B.A.LL. B (Hons.) 9940770028
Ms. K. SOWNDARYA B.A.LL.B (Hons.) 9150913730