The Cantonments (House Accommodation) Act, 1923
ACT NO. 6 OF 1923
An Act further amends and consolidates the law relating to the provision of house accommodation for military officers in cantonments. WHEREAS it is expedient further to amend and consolidate the law relating to the provision of house accommodation for military officers in cantonments.
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- Short title, extent and commencement.
APPLICATION OF ACT
- Cantonments or parts of cantonments in which Act to be operative.
- Saving of written instruments.
APPROPRIATION OF HOUSES
- Liability of houses to appropriation.
- Conditions on which houses may be appropriated.
- Procedure for taking house on lease.
- Sanction to be obtained before a house is occupied as a hospital, etc.
- Houses are not to be appropriated in certain cases.
- Time to be allowed for giving possession of the house.
- Surrender of the house when to be enforced.
- Option in certain cases for the owner on whom notice is issued under section 7 to call upon the
Government to purchase.
- Provision where the house is held on a long lease by a tenant.
- Power for the owner to refer to civil court on question of rent.
- Power for the owner to refer to civil court on the question of repairs.
- Power to have repairs executed and recover cost.
- Notice to be given of devolution of interest in house in cantonment.
PROCEDURE IN REFERENCES
- Jurisdiction in references.
- Procedure and powers of the Court.
- Restriction of scope of inquiry.
- Appeal to High Court.
- Appeal to Officer Commanding the District.
- Petition of appeal.
- Order in appeal final.
- Suspension of action pending appeal.
- Service of notice and requisitions.
34A. Computation of periods of limitation.
- Power for Central Government to make rules.
- Further provisions respecting rules.
- Inapplicability of section 556 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898, to trials of offences.
- Protection to persons acting under Act.
THE SCHEDULE. [Repealed.].